Mon, June 24

February 24, 2006

Ida Grimler

Ida Carr Griffis Grimler, 87, a resident of Erie, Pa., died Feb. 18, 2006, at her residence following an extended illness. She was born in Charlotte Center, Chautauqua County, N.Y., June 15, 1918, daughter of the late Frank and Ethel Turney Carr. She lived in Erie most of her adult life.

Ida was a sales associate at the Boston Store for over 20 years, working in the sportswear department for 19 years, before retiring in 1976. She attended East High School in Erie. Ida was a proud charter member of Carriage Hills Wesleyan Church, where she was the director of the Missionary Society and a Sunday School teacher for several years, and was also a member of Glenwood United Methodist Church.

She was preceded in death by her first husband, John L. Griffis Sr., in 1983, and her second husband, Merle V. Grimler, in 2000; a son, John L. Griffis Jr., in 2002; three brothers, Arthur, Leland and Ernest Carr; and two sisters, Jenny Wolfe and Frances Chamberlain.

She is survived by two sons, David W. Griffis and his wife Sherrie of Groveland, Mass., and Ronald P. Griffis of Erie; a daughter-in-law, Mary Griffis of Muncie, Ind.; a sister, Ruth Flint and her husband Everett of Camp Verde; a brother, David Carr and his wife Mary of Elkhart, Ind.; three stepdaughters, Jeanne Bretz and her husband Jim of Whitesville, Ky., Carolyn Hamme and her husband Don Hamme Sr., of Erie, Pa. and Marilyn Yetter and her husband Greg of Milford, Pa.; and a stepson, James Grimler and his wife Shelby of Conway, S.C. She is also survived by many grandchildren, great-grandchildren (including triplets born September 2005), nieces and nephews.

Russell C. Schmidt & Son Funeral Home Inc., Erie, Pa. is in charge of arrangements.

Burial will be in Laurel Hill Cemetery. Memorials may be made to Glenwood United Methodist Church, 2931 Myrtle St., Erie PA 16508. To send condolences, visit

Margaret F. Decknadel

Margaret Furlong Decknadel, 88, died Feb. 14, 2006. Maggie was born in St. Johns, Newfoundland, Canada, on Dec. 11, 1917.

Maggie came to the United States to Rockford, Ill., to be a nanny. There she met and married Harold Decknadel on Sept. 15, 1949. She became a U.S. citizen in 1950.

Three sisters and five brothers preceded Maggie in death. Maggie is survived by a daughter, Mary White, of Maryland, three granddaughters, and great-grandchildren.

For the last three years Maggie has lived with her husband Harold Decknadel at Cascades Assisted Living in Tucson.

There was no memorial in Arizona. Maggie's ashes were sent to Freeport, Ill. with her husband's ashes for burial.

Harold Decknadel

Harold Decknadel, 87, died Feb. 15, 2006, the day after his beloved wife Margaret Furlong Decknadel passed away. Harold was born on Sep. 10, 1918, in Freeport, Ill.

Harold married Margaret Furlong on Sept. 15, 1949. Harold farmed in Freeport, Ill., until 1956 when he and Maggie moved to Phoenix, where he worked for the City of Phoenix. Harold retired in 1987 when he and Maggie moved to Camp Verde.

A sister, Esther preceded Harold in death and he is survived by a nephew, John Hayck and a niece Carol Eraun, both of Freeport, Ill. Also, many cousins and dear friends.

For the last three years Harold lived with his wife Margaret Decknadel at Cascades Assisted Living in Tucson.

There was no memorial in Arizona. Harold's ashes were sent to Freeport Ill. with his wife's ashes for burial.

Harold and Maggie had many friends and were loved by all. They will be greatly missed.

June M. O'Clair

June Myrtle O'Clair, 80, of Cottonwood and previously of Flagstaff, died Feb. 21, 2006, in Phoenix. She was born June 7, 1925, in Deering, N.D. She was one of seven children born to Severt and Marie Johnson.

She met her husband Virgil Douglas O'Clair in North Dakota. Together they moved to Green River, Utah, in 1962. They were married in Ogden, Utah, Aug. 3, 1963. In 1967 they moved their family to Flagstaff, where they resided until 2000 when they moved to Camp Verde. After Virgil died late 2001, June moved to Cottonwood.

June's hobbies included crocheting, crafts of all sorts, and quilting, but most of all she love the time she spent with her family, especially her grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

June is survived by her children, Scott (Linda) O'Clair of Klamath Falls, Ore., Sandra (Gaynard) Switzer of Berthold, N.D., Rodney (Karen) Miller of Bismarck, N.D., Debbie (Gene) Knutson of Tolly, N.D., and Jerry (Linda) Miller of Minot, N.D. She was preceded in death by her husband, Virgil O'Clair and son Dewyne Miller.

Funeral Services will be 2 p.m. today, Feb. 24, at Norvel Owens Mortuary Chapel, 914 E. Route 66, Flagstaff. Visitation will be prior to services starting at noon. Interment will be at Citizens Cemetery.

Arrangements are under the direction of Norvel Owens Mortuary.

Robert C. 'Bob' Smith

Robert C. "Bob" Smith died at his home in Cottonwood on Feb. 19, 2006, after a 16-month fight with cancer.

Bob was born on June 7, 1920, in St. Paul, Ore. He was the eighth of 13 children in his family. He graduated from Mt. Angel Seminary in 1938 and joined the Navy in 1942. He went through Aviations Machinist Mate School in Seattle, Wash., and was then stationed in Norman, Okla., where he was an instructor in the Aviations Machinist Mate School. It was there that he met and married Phoebe Swan in 1943.

After the war, Bob settled his family in Alameda, Calif., where he got his first contractor's license. He started his construction business remodeling kitchens and bathrooms and soon jumped to building custom homes in the Oakland Hills. In 1955 Bob relocated to Phoenix and formed Arling-Smith Builders and Realty Inc. During his stay in the Phoenix area, he built more than 95 large custom homes in the North Central corridor and in the south side of Camelback Mountain. While in Phoenix, Bob was a member of the Phoenix Orpheus Club. He also spent his Sunday mornings as the soloist for the Christian Science Church.

In 1971 Bob and Phoebe moved to Sedona. There they opened Arling-Smith Realty. While in the real estate business, Bob became an active member of the Sedona-Verde Valley Board of Realtors, and helped form the first MLS in the Verde Valley. He was also a member of the Sedona Rotary Club, Sedona Elks Lodge, and the American Legion Post #64. Having been raised in the Masonic Lodge in 1955, Bob became a member of the Red Rock Memorial Lodge #63 while he lived in Sedona. He received his 50-year pin from his lodge in Tigard, Ore., last year. He was also a member of the Scottish Rite and York Rite Orders and a member of El Zaribah Shrine Temple in Phoenix.

In his younger years Bob loved to hunt deer on the north rim of the Grand Canyon. He always said there was no more beautiful site than the sunrise there. After his retirement from the real estate business, Bob moved to Florence, Ore., where he loved his time fishing and crabbing on the Siuslaw River.

Bob is survived by his wife of 62 years, Phoebe Swan Smith, two daughters, Carole Joy Wagley of Cornville, and Jane Ellington of Clayton, N.C., two grandchildren, William Strye of Portland, Ore., and Shelly DeWolf of Crescent City, Calif.; four sisters, Sister Mary Blanche OSB, St. Benedict, Ore., Clara Faber of Woodburn, Ore., Rose Helen Berning of Mt. Angel, Ore., and Cecilia Stuckard of Sublimity, Ore.; one brother Paul Smith of Forest Grove, Ore., and one very attentive cat.

The family expresses loving gratitude to Northern Arizona Hospice for their help and caring during Bob's last three weeks. In lieu of flowers, please make donations to Northern Arizona Hospice, 269 S. Candy Lane, Cottonwood AZ 86326.

Sunrise Funeral Home in Prescott Valley will be helping with graveside services at the Sedona Community Cemetery on March 1 at 1 p.m.

Arrangements entrusted to Sunrise Funeral Home. All friends and relatives are encouraged to visit for additional information and to sign the online guestbook.

Dr. Mary D. Bell

Dr. Mary Davenport Bell, 52, of Anthem, died Feb. 21 at University Medical Center, Tucson.

Dr. Bell was born in the suburbs of Philadelphia. She graduated from Garnet Valley High School, Washington College, Pennsylvania State University and Widener University.

Dr. Bell held positions as a therapist at Crozer Chester Medical Center, and as an administrator of career and job placement at a Pennsylvania State University. She moved to Sedona, Arizona and established life and career success practice.

Dr. Bell is the daughter of the late Sen. Clarence Deshong Bell and Mary James Bell.

She is survived by her husband Mark S. Filippone and brother Clarence D. Bell Jr.

Funeral services will be held privately. The family suggests that memorial contributions be made to the American Lung Association of Arizona/New Mexico, 61 Broadway, New York NY 10006.

Greer's Mortuary of Sedona assisted the family with the arrangements.