Statistics show that the average government employee is paid a higher salary than a private citizen doing the same, or similar job. That same average government employee also gets better benefits - retirement and health.
It was recently announced that social security recipients would receive no cost-of-living (COLA) increase next year due to the fact that there was no increase in our cost of living. It might also be noted that in the private sector the average hours worked is in the low 30's, nearly 18% have lost jobs, taken pay cuts, are underemployed or working part time.
The pork laden omnibus spending bill ($1.1 trillion) that was just passed by congress provides for a 2% increase in pay for federal employees. Hmmmm! Would this have anything to do with there being a federal employees union??? And should we call it pay? Or pay-off?
More like this story
- Letter: Government employees should make sacrifice
- Commentary: Retaining best employees requires city salaries remain competitive
- Labor statistics show average weekly wage increase in Arizona
- AZ jobless rate improves to 6.8%
- COMPARING PAYCHECKS: Regional government wage study shows the bigger the agency, the bigger the salary