PIONEER SETTLERS: UPPER VERDE
Samuel and Jane (Sinnette) Loy left Missouri and arrived in the Verde Valley on August 13, 1876. They bought land near the mouth of Oak Creek from Riley Casner. Their neighbors were:
"Beginning at the upper end of the valley lived the Hawkins family who were farming land located on the banks of Peck's Lake. Jim O Bristow lived on the place that later became the home of Mrs. Mary Willard. She erected a brick house that still stands to mark the place."
"On down the river the farm known now as the Jerome Dairy belonged to Dave Strahan. Later his father and mother made their home on part of this land. Joining the Strahan place, Bill and Henry Wingfield lived. The Wingfield brothers bought cattle and moved to the Mogollon mountains. This place later became the homes of Dolph Willard and Tom Carroll."
"Isaac Jones and family lived for a number of years on the east side of the river where the Nichols family later erected a stone house."
"The land at the lower part of the upper Verde was owned by Jim and Ben Barney and a man by the name of Anderson. Later these places became the well known homes of Scott, Van Deren, and Lew Willand. William Munds and family ... moved to the east side of the river, south of Bridgeport."
(see: Pioneer Stories of Arizona's Verde Valley; The Verde Valley Pioneers Association; 1954; pages 65-67.)