1918 HISTORY OF THE VERDE - Cottonwood and Verde
"Where Actual Demand Caused the Building of a Live Community Center."
"Up to March, 1917, the business section of Cottonwood consisted of Alonzo Mason's general merchandise store and postoffice. Since then Cottonwood has come to the front by leaps. This has been due to the growth of the smelter towns of Clarkdale and Verde. Cottonwood is a go-between town, having Clarkdale on one side and Verde on the other. It has no established payroll. It is also located on the main county road and all travel up and down the valley passes through it. The auto stage lines from Prescott, Verde, Clarkdale, etc., have their headquarters there."
"The farmers from the Oak Creek and Cornville country find Cottonwood their first marketing place."
"Many of the smelter workers live at Cottonwood and do much of their buying there."
"MANY BUSINESS HOUSES: According to statistics compiled for the State Directory a short while ago, Cottonwood is represented by 64 business men who operate the following concerns: four general mercantile stores; five stores that handle dry goods; three restaurants; one barber shop; one moving picture theater; one amusement hall, drug store, bakery, confectionary, lumber yard, two garages, two blacksmith shops, butcher shop, furniture store, two shoe shops, seven pool halls, service station, ice plant, jewelry shop, three hotels, cleaning shop, rootbeer stand, novelty store and ice cream parlor."
"The Arizona Power Company has a temporary office and plans are being made for the erection of a permanent office."
"Cottonwood proper has some 300 residents. Scott's addition, which is known as Smelter City, brings the total population to over 400. The whole district, Verde, Cottonwood and adjoining communities, have nearly 1500 residents."
"CITIZENS ARE ACTIVE: The town is un-incorporated and is governed by a deputy sheriff and the Cottonwood Progressive Association, which is a cross between a Board of Trade and a City Council. This association has some 60 members. The present officers are: C. C. Stemmer, president; W. C. Morse, vice-president; and Mr. Hanson, secretary. The executive board consists of Jerre McGimsey, M. J. Rounserville and Sam Steinberg. A volunteer fire department is maintained with Jos. Hemler as fire chief."
"The water supply for the town is derived from two artesian wells. One is owned by Alonzo Mason. The other is owned by C. D. Willard, and is known as the Willard Water System. The water is pumped to a 11,000 gallon storage tank above the city."
"ELECTRIC STREET LIGHTS: The town is electrically lighted and just recently four street lights have been installed and the fifth will be put up as soon as the bracket arrives."
"The main street, also the county road, has recently been graded at a cost of $825. This was paid for by volunteer contributions of the local business men."
"A fire fighting outfit is also maintained. A hose house has been erected and 300 feet of hose put in."
"All the improvements have been brought about by the Progressive Association."
"The district has three schools and eight teachers. The school at Verde has four teachers; Cottonwood, one teacher; Scott's Addition (Smelter City), three teachers. The trustees for this section are Mrs. L. W. Pugh, Mrs. C. M. Kenton and Mr. F. L. France."
"THE BUNGALOW is one of the most attractive amusement halls in the Verde District. It is built along true bungalow lines and its wide veranda and benches are a joy to pleasure seekers. It was erected by the Verde Valley Amusement Company and opened in May of this year. A particularly good dancing floor was put in. Road shows are also held in it occasionally and meetings of various natures. The building is 70 feet by 75 feet with 4500 square feet of dancing space. Mr. C. C. Stemmer is manager and also resident member of Cottonwood. Mr. Matt Mungovan of Clarkdale is one of the directors and also has charge of the orchestra."
"A COTTONWOOD BOOSTER: Mr. C. C. Stemmer is one of Cottonwood's most enthusiastic boosters and business men. In December, 1917, he opened up a confectionary store, put in an up-to-date fountain and ice cream service, a first class line of candies and other dainties as well as a good line of magazines. The store was first owned by Mr. Stemmer and Geo. A. Pattern. Later Mr. Pattern withdrew and Mr. Stemmer is now owner and manager."
"VERDE --- The New City."
"Plans for a Busy City Being Perfected by the Douglas Interests."
"The U. V. X. people have spent a good many thousands of dollars in the establishment of their temporary camp of Verde. It has been laid out along systematic lines. About 80 comfortable frame houses have been put up by the company with the idea of making the tenants as comfortable as possible. The rental is particularly moderate. The company has also put up a well equipped general merchandise store, an amusement hall where picture shows and dances are held, a club house and an eating house. The club house contains a pool hall, barber shop, baths, soft drink stand and other conveniences for the employees of the smelter. There are nearly 1000 people at the camp now."
"Some of the workers rent a small piece of ground and put up their own houses and tents. On the outskirts of the camp, the Indians have built up quite a settlement."
"The permanent town of Verde has been laid out and surveyed to the west of the smelter. The town is being laid out to accommodate about 5000 people. It will be built of brick and concrete with a good water system, sewer, electric lights, etc. A permanent plant has already been built to accommodate the temporary camp."
"A big warehouse has already been put up on the new town site for the handling of supplies when active building begins."
"Mr. J. B. Speed is camp manager."
(YAVAPAI, a monthly magazine; October 1918; "History of the Verde" by Grace M. Cousins; page 5-6.)