St. Thomas Episcopal Church in Clarkdale celebrates their 100th birthday this year. The first Christian work in the area began with the formation of Christ Episcopal Church in Jerome on June 6, 1899. The building still stands on Highway 89A, across from the "Haunted Hamburger" and is used now as an arts center.
St. Thomas' congregation came into being on Dec. 1, 1913, when nine people met in a private home on the banks of the Verde River and signed the charter which brought into existence a mission of the Episcopal Church in Clarkdale. In 1917, a combination chapel and parish hall was built for $8,000 in Clarkdale where it stands today across from the Clarkdale Post Office.
Fr. Richard Mallory invites everyone to visit this historic church any Sunday at 10 a.m. Look for other activities which will be announced throughout the year to commemorate this special year.