1925: COTTONWOOD FIRE; Lysons Building.
"READY FOR BUSINESS: Roy Cloper has finally arranged for business in the Silver Building. [now, Nic's]... He has two pool tables in operation and is running a nice clean place. The other portion is occupied by W. L. G. Lysons who has his newspapers in stock and a few odds and ends. He is but temporarily situated and will remain there or with Tony Butkovich until he either gets a building of his own or one is put up on the opposite side of the street that he can rent." (Verde Copper News; Jerome; May 1, 1925; page 3, column 1.)
"MORE EXCAVATING: W. L. G. Lysons, who is among those burned out in the fire of April 20, is beginning to get ready for his new concrete building to be erected on his lot in Block One, Willard Addition. W. J. Hemler and Bob Carroll have been industriously at work getting the dirt carried from the place to the sump across the street near Tonelli's place. Lysons will build to a 30 foot depth at this time and will probably build farther back some time in the winter." (Verde Copper News; Jerome; June 6, 1925; page 3, column 3.)
"LYSONS MOVES: W. L. G. Lysons moved into the Stemmer building next to the post office this morning with his news stand and other equipment. He will handle cigars and candies and notions until his own building is completed. It will probably be two months before his building will be ready for occupation. He has been handling his papers in the Silver building temporarily since the fire, but has not attempted to do any merchandising." (Verde Copper News; June 9, 1925; page 3, column 1.)
"WILL SOON BUILD: It is understood that W. L. G. Lysons will soon begin the erection of a concrete building on his lot adjoining the Cottonwood Hotel property on which a new building is also being erected. Lysons plans on a building 23 feet 4 inches in width and about 30 feet long for a starter. From the appearance of things now, it is almost certain that the block on the north side of MacIntyres will soon be built." (Verde Copper News; June 26, 1925; page 1, column 6.)
"CONTRACT LET: The contract has been let between W. L. G. Lysons and Jess Hood and N. O. Webb, for the construction of a one story concrete building next to the Giordano store [Cottonwood Hotel]. Work will begin at once. Hood and Webb are about through with their work on the [Luna] B. Willard building and on the Groves-Hansohn building that they erected under contract." (Verde Copper News; July 14, 1925; page 3, column 3.)
"BUILDING STARTED: Excavation has been begun of the W. L. G. Lysons building next to the hotel on the south. It will be 22 feet 10 inches wide over all and will be 30 feet in length. It will be almost entirely of concrete and much on the same order as the Luna B. Willard building and the Groves and Hansohn building. Stewart and Hood took the contract and in 60 days they will endeavor to get it completed for occupation." (Verde Copper News; July 25, 1925; page 3, column 5.)
"RAPID WORK: Contractors Hood and Webb have done some rapid work in the construction of the new Lysons building and have already completed all of the tile construction work and put the roof on. The interior and exterior are both ready for the plasterers and in quick succession the plastering will be done, the ceiling and casings put on, windows and doors, the sidewalk, the painting and wiring and it is figured that the building will be ready for occupation in not less than 30 days from now." (Verde Copper News; August 8, 1925; page 4, column 6.)
"NEARING COMPLETION: The W. L. G. Lysons building on Main street is rapidly assuming proportions of completeness. Bob Carroll and young Dora were busily engaged in putting on metal lath preparatory to plastering the ceiling. On top of the building, Hood and Webb were engaged in finishing the roofing and getting ready to wind up most of the outside construction." (Verde Copper News; August 11, 1925; page 3, columns 4-5.)
"JAZZ FRONT: W. L. G. Lysons is having a trowel-strike jazz finish put on the front of his building which certainly gives it distinction if ever a building had it. There is no building in the northern part of the state that shows that kind of outer skin. The inside will be covered with metal lath and what E. E. Maxwell calls sponge jazz finish. That is an oddity that the jazz age was introduced in California and it has spread, even until it hit W. L. G. Lysons." (Verde Copper News; August 12, 1925; page 3, column 4.)
"NEARING COMPLETION: The W. L. G. Lysons building is rapidly nearing completion. Yesterday the cement floor was poured and as soon as the forms are placed, the sidewalk in front will also be poured. The ceiling of the Lysons building has a very curious finish called a 'jazz' finish and appears like the white frosting of a cake with snow white miniature 'staligtites.' Coupled with the 'jazz trowel' cut of the outside, it gives the building an individuality all its own as it stands among the new creations along that line." (Verde Copper News; August 19, 1925; page 3, column 3.)
"BUILDING NOTES: The W. L. G. Lysons building is also very nearly completed. Hood and Webb just recently finished the sidewalk and the placing of the windows and doors. It is a jazz finish building and if you do not believe it, stop and look it over. The ceiling looks as if it was made of cake frosting and the front is the color of adobe, and troweled out so that it has a very odd appearance." (Verde Copper News; August 25, 1925; page 3, columns 2-3.)
"MOVING IN: W. L. G. Lysons is moving in to his fine new 'jazz' building on Main street. He has nearly all of his fixtures in place and most of the shelving and in a day or two will have taken up his abode in his own quarters. He has a novel building well put up and a front and ceiling that will always attract attention. Hood and Webb erected the building and the 'jazz' suggestions were carried out with startling effect." (Verde Copper News; September 10, 1925; page 3, column 3.)
"IN NEW QUARTERS: W. L. G. Lysons has moved from the post office building to his new jazz palace next to the Giordano hotel and has his wares in neat display. With his copy of the inside of Carlsbad cavern for a ceiling and a front simulating Toltec Indian architecture, he feels very proud, and gets quite kick out of the glances his patrons cast at the ceiling especially. He wants his patrons to know he is at home again and he has a bright light out front to show them the curious building with an individuality." (Verde Copper News; September 12, 1925; page 3, column 1.)
W. L. "George" Lysons and his son, Arthur V. G. Lysons, were merchants who owned and operated Lysons Confectionary and News Stand at what is now 928 North Main Street. From about 1934 through the 1950's, the front of the Cottonwood Hotel was combined with the Lysons Building as Robinsons Style Shop. At the time of the 1999 survey, the building was Madame's Mercantile (Karen Leff).
According to the 1999 survey, the Lysons Building exemplified the traits of most historic buildings in the Cottonwood Commercial Historic District. It has a symmetrical massing arrangement with a central recessed entry door, large wood framed windows for displaying goods, and the transoms to increase interior lighting. There is a flat canopy supported with metal poles to provide shade. The building is unique because of the snappy stepped parapet and swirly stucco. The Lysons Building is eligible individually to be listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
WILLIAM LORENZO GEORGE LYSONS was born on July 15, 1862. He is the son of Lorenzo George Lysons (born in India) and Victoria (Richards) Lysons (born in England). He had been in the United States for 53 years, in Arizona for 20 years, and was living in Bridgeport when he died on February 29, 1936. His son, Arthur Victor Guy Lysons was born in Mankato, Minnesota.