I want to talk about a subject that people really don't want to talk about: Minor Sex Trafficking.
I thank Sen. Jeff Flake for co-sponsoring the Justice for Victims of Trafficking Act (S 1738), which closes some gaps in our laws that allow perpetrators to escape the punishment of our trafficking laws.
In the last 6 months, 15 men were arrested in Yavapai County alone for attempting to purchase children for sex. I want to give a huge thank you to Yavapai County Sheriff Scott Mascher, who took the lead to protect our children from sexual predators. Unfortunately, child sexual slavery is rampant in Arizona, especially during the super bowl season.
I urge citizens to take action and write to your representatives to pass measures and commit resources to protect children from these predators. Learn more about what people like Cindy McCain are doing to educate the public about the realities of children being sold and abused sexually. While our State is taking positive steps towards helping these young women integrate back into society, Shared Hope International rates our state as a "C." We need the arrest and serious prosecution of buyers, as well as real safe havens for the children.
More like this story
- Commentary: FOSTA a victory for victims, survivors of sex crimes
- Sheriff wants Verde Valley off limits to sex trafficking
- Letter: Child prostitute is misnomer; these children are victims, not criminals
- Sedona man gets 120 years in prison for possessing, distributing child pornography
- Prostitution sting nets men seeking underage sex