Jim Barber, in a recent letter to the editor, railed against some of the anti-Trump protesters, some of whom engaged in hostel acts that resulted in property damage. This behavior is wrong, and should be punished. Let us look, however, at some excerpts of articles from various newspapers around the Country:
• Pro-Trump supporters spray painted Nazi symbols on stores, homes, and vehicles.
• Slogans like “Sieg Heil” and “Trump” using swastikas for the “T” were found spray painted on windows of a closed store on Broad Street
• Three vehicles and one home being spray painted with “Trump Rules” and “Trump Rules Black B*itch.” Several Muslim women have reported Trump supporters attempting to rip off their hijabs
• Police are investigating a wave of alleged hate crimes against Muslims, Hispanic Americans, black people, ethnic minorities and the LGBT community in the wake of the US election.
• Robbery of a Muslim student at San Diego State University by two men who “made comments about President-elect Donald Trump and the Muslim community”, before stealing her purse, rucksack and car.
• A gay man was smashed over the head with a beer bottle by men shouting homophobic slurs on election night, the Calgary Metro reported.
There were others but the content is not fit for a family newspaper.
For Barber to condemn anti-Trump protesters while keeping silent about the hateful, racist acts of Trump supporters is the height of hypocrisy.