After watching another holiday weekend with increased traffic on 179, one of the ideas that should be considered and were submitted last fall is to provide electronic signs at key locations on I-17.
One sign would recommend to drivers in the Camp Verde exit area to take 260 through Cottonwood then east on 89 to Sedona.
At the McGuireville area signs would direct vehicles to Cornville Road to Page Springs to 89 to Sedona.
This will be a temporary solution that could be utilized each weekend now that summer traffic has increased.
This would be a quick fix and less expensive than tunnels, bridges and highway projects. It will also give the local and state government's time to assess the pending traffic study.
Village of Oak Creek
More like this story
- Letter: Highway 179 traffic is ‘March Madness’ Sedona style
- Editorial: ‘If everybody takes the fastest route, would it still be the fastest?’
- Traffic jam the result of man-made bottlenecks in Sedona
- ADOT lowering I-17 speed limits during peak holiday travel periods
- No state highway construction closures over Thanksgiving weekend