While I don’t live in Clarkdale, I have sympathy for the community. The library controversy is only another domino in the changing culture in American. Look what is happening to malls, for instance. Even my stepson says he doesn’t read books anymore. Not the printed and bound kind. He has a Kindle.
Unless we make libraries an experience instead of just a destination this will continue to happen. And unless we teach kids to love books as my parents did (mother said “Books are our friends – we don’t write on our friends”) we fail them and become accomplices to the demise of brick and mortar libraries. RIP.
More like this story
- Letter: Community needs to let Clarkdale Council know Library is worth saving ... and investing in
- The Jerome Book: La Victoria Studio curates a directory of residents
- Letter: Three days, 6,500-plus books for Clark library
- Letter: The last thing we need is a hostile and conspiratorial agenda
- Commentary: Online world forces reinvention of your local library