Cottonwood council breezes through agenda<br>Council appoints new P&Z Commission member
The Cottonwood City Council breezed through its regular meeting Tuesday evening in less than 45 minutes. The total time included pausing for questions and public comment, as well as discussing eight items listed under new business.
The efficient meeting even began a few minutes late, waiting for the American flag to be brought in and placed for the Pledge of Allegiance.
Following the meeting, Mayor Ruben Jauregui said, "Our record is 21 minutes."
During Tuesday's session, the council appointed Pat Bartmus to the city's Planning and Zoning Commission. She replaces Bryan Drye, who recently resigned; his term was to end Dec. 31 this year. Bartmus' term will end Dec. 31, 2004.
City Manager Brian Mickelsen told council members that an intergovernmental meeting of Verde Valley officials with area state legislators has been rescheduled from Nov. 15 to Nov. 8 due to a state Legislature conflict.
The Nov. 8 intergovernmental meeting will begin at 7 p.m. in the Clark Memorial Clubhouse, 19 N. Ninth St. (behind the Town Hall) in Clarkdale.
Mickelsen said a joint meeting with the Cottonwood Planning and Zoning Commission, scheduled for Oct. 23, also would have to be reset, but a new date hadn't been selected yet.
In other business, the council:
• Approved Pay Application No. 3, totaling $239,995.85. to Shrader & Martinez Construction, Inc., Sedona. The payment is for construction work on the new Public Safety Building, 199 S. Sixth St.
• Awarded a security system contract totaling $67,510 to IntelliSec, Inc., Glendale. The contract is for a basic security system for the police side of the new Public Safety Building, 199 S. Sixth St.
• Approved an airport development grant agreement with the Arizona Department of Transportation, for the Airport Master Plan update. The matching grant is for 4.47 percent of the allowable project cost, not to exceed a maximum of $7,363.
(The formal resolution accompanying the approval was inadvertently omitted from Tuesday's agenda and will be on the next meeting's agenda for a council vote.)
• Awarded a bid totaling $84,716.40 to Cholla Pavement Maintenance, Inc., for an airport seal-coat project, providing seal coating to all pavement areas. The project is funded through a combination of grants by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), ADOT and the city match.
• Approved Change Order No. 1 with Arizona Northern Equipment, Inc., for the North Willard Street Improvement Project. The change order is for a net reduction of $76,515.50, bringing the original contract amount of $523,418.10 down to an adjusted contract amount of $446,902.60.
• Approved a service agreement with Flame Propane for the Cottonwood Area Transit System (CATS) onsite liquid-propane refueling station. (The bid was approved at the last council meeting.)
• Approved an intergovernmental agreement with the city of Phoenix to administer the municipal tax hearing office, as required by state statute.