Jerome Home Tour
THE old Clark Street School has been renovated into a new library, council chambers and town hall. Volunteers have done most of the work on the project. The school was built in 1924 to replace a wood-frame school building built in 1905.
Built in 1897 by Kitty Christian, one of Jerome's most successful female hotel owners, the hotel burned in 1898 and was replaced with the brick hotel that stands today.
The Mills Home, which is currently being renovated, was originally owned by Carl E. Mills. Mills was an assistant engineer in the mines and eventually was promoted and moved to Bisbee as assistant manager of the Copper Queen. While living in Jerome, Mills married local schoolteacher Ynez Reynolds.
The Episcopal Church was built in 1927 and now houses the Jerome History Center. The Spanish Colonial-style church was purchased by the Jerome Historical Society, and restoration work was begun in 1976.
The Clark Street Elementary School was built in 1924. A two-story wood-frame school building that stood since 1905 was torn down to make room for the new, three-story building. The building now houses the town's public library and town council chambers. When the current renovation project is completed soon, the building will also serve as town hall and provide space for several organizations and county agencies.
Above the old-time general store (The Jerome Twin Star) is the Twin Star Apartment. Some old, exposed telephone lines reveal part of this apartment's history when the building served as the town's telephone company.
The Arizona Discoveries apartment is another stop on the tour with much history. Serving first as a jewelry store for Charles C. Robinson, a 100-watt radio station was opened in 1930. The upstairs was used by a dentist in the 1920s and then as an insurance office in 1939.
The Ravenwood Roost was constructed about eight years ago by local musician Ed Dowling. The large patio was added in the spring of 2003.
The last stop on the tour, Spook Hall, was one of J.C. Penney's largest department stores. The store closed in 1953. It soon became the town's favored gathering place for parties, dances, art shows and other public events.
The tour is not wheelchair accessible, and strollers must be left at the ticket booth.
Admission is $12 for adults and $6 for children 12 and under. Children 2 and under will be admitted free.
For information, call the Jerome Chamber of Commerce at (928) 643-2900.