TRUSTED NEWS LEADER FOR COTTONWOOD, CAMP VERDE & THE VERDE VALLEY
Sat, July 20

Grass fire burns down neighbor's shed

A grass fire Thursday afternoon destroyed a storage shed on neighbor's property in Camp Verde. Camp Verde Fire was dispatched to Cayuse Lane off Camp Lincoln about noon. The first firefighters to arrive found approximately one acre had burned with a storage shed fully involved in flames.

Camp Verde Fire was assisted by Montezuma-Rimrock Fire District and quickly extinguished the blaze.

Investigators found that a burn pile had not been fully extinguished and smoldered until it spread. The fire burned across that property and continued into the neighboring land, igniting the shed. The shed, estimated 8-by-10-foot, had an apparently small value, but the neighbors are discussing the worth of some of the contents.

Fire Inspector Barbara Rice says it is fortunate that the wind was calm and the fire did not spread farther. Still, she says, it is important to thoroughly wet down burn piles, stirring as you would a campfire, to thoroughly extinguish all coals.

Contact