Glancing back to a day In May
What happens once a year, draws women from all over Northern Arizona and puts a smile on everyone’s face?
Time's up. The Oakcreek Country Club, Ladies Club, “Red Rock Classic Invitational Tournament,” of course, silly.
The basic format was a bit different this year, a one-day format rather than two was chosen to terrific feedback through a skyrocket in turnout from about 50 to a cool 80 participants.
Women from Phoenix, Prescott, Humboldt and Flagstaff as well as Sedona and the Village, came out. Even the guys at the Pro Shop noticed the intense camaraderie, all the participants mingling like old pals.
No surprises really, since all the players are so nice and the weather was cooperating too.
There was an optional warm-up the afternoon before the tournament in the form of a “horserace.” This type of game brings partnership to a complete sharing experience as the ball is struck alternately by the partners from the ‘t’ shot through the putting green.
This horserace was a real nail biter going into two extra holes to have an unexpected take over win, with congratulations going to Sandy Bruns and Lee Smith. Great going, ladies.
And now, the outcome of the Oakcreek Country Club Women’s Golf Association 2011 Red Rock Invitational:
• Overall Gross goes to LeeAnn Morgan and Carol Beck with Overall Net to Karen Jennings and Shary Koch.
• In Flight 1 - First Gross, Lori Zaun and Suzie Hite. First Net, Donna Cantello and Kelli Martinez. Second Gross, Susan Adkins and Elaine Harger. Second Net, Jill Feind and Linda Morton.
• In Flight 2 - First Gross goes to Diana Meyer and Carolyn Harville, and First Net to Mary Londry and Penny Kells. Following up with Second Gross, is Candace Garvey and Pamela Sands and Second Net, to Tina Stewart and Carol McDermott.
• Flight 3 - First Gross, Vicki Knight and Lori Gaucher and First Net to Judi Forrest and Lois Rosenow. Second Gross to Christine Burdette and Nancy Ramirez. Second Net, Dawn Bush and Loretta Brown.
• Flight 4 - First Gross, Dorothy Swehla and Sue Gibson. First Net, Peggy Handcock and Pamela Ploors. Second Gross, Louise Grabe and Jackie Schiller. Second Net, Joy Hope and Nancy King.
By all accounts, the Invitational was a good time and so it goes, the crown jewel in the Ladies Club Crown will get put away until next year.
Thanks to all the participants.