TRUSTED NEWS LEADER FOR COTTONWOOD, CAMP VERDE & THE VERDE VALLEY
Sat, Oct. 19

Umbrella blamed for power short, fire in Clarkdale

CLARKDALE-- Lights flickered in some areas and went out in downtown Clarkdale afternoon ... all due to an umbrella?

Joyce Driscoll of Clarkdale Fire said, just after noon Tuesday, a gust of wind caught a picnic table umbrella, that had been fully mounted in its base. But the wind gust lifted the umbrella up into the air to a height that it snagged in the adjacent power lines.

The umbrella shaft shorted two conductors causing the outage and sparking some small brush fires beneath the pole. A neighbor was able to extinguish the small fires with a garden hose.

Linemen from APS were called in to fix the problem caused an outage in Clarkdale. One of the power lines had been damaged and needed to be replaced.

No one was injured by the outage.

Contact
Event Calendar
Event Calendar link
Submit Event