1899: JEROME; Raze the Old One, Build a New One.


"Prosperity is prevalent in Jerome. The tearing down of old wooden business blocks goes merrily on and the building of substantial fire-proof business houses follow. On the lot south of that on which a cement business block is being erected by Mr. Clinkscales, and which is owned by Mr. Rothermel, another fire-proof building will replace the present wooden structure just as rapidly as the work can be done."

"Next to the St. Elmo, Jake Marks will soon commence the erection of a handsome fire-proof business block."

"On the ground occupied by the O. K. Meat Market, Mrs. H. Crain will build fire-proof business houses."

"On the old site of the Leland Hotel, Mrs. Smith will shortly commence the erection of a substantial building."

"On his lot on First street, Jean Cadette informs the NEWS that he will in a few months commence the erection of a large fire-proof hotel."

"C. M. Clark has about completed arrangements to finish work on the buildings on the Bartlett lot."

"G. W. Hull will erect a large store building on the lot opposite the old Jerome Lumber company's yard."

"And so it continues all through the town; owners are making preparations to build, and build substantial, money-making buildings."

(The Jerome Mining News; Monday, August 21, 1899; page 3, columns 4-5.)


"The St Elmo, that favorite resort, owned and managed by McFarland & Hooker, opened today in their new building built on the lot from which they have been driven twice by fire. The new St. Elmo is brick, lathed and plastered and hard finished throughout."

"The furnishings are all modern in manufacture and handsome, all being in light wood, giving the rooms a bright appearance. Back of the club rooms and bar-room will be a first-class restaurant under the management of Chas. Lee, one of the best Chinese restaurant men in Jerome. The fact that it is to be run in connection with the St. Elmo is a guarantee that it will always be neat and clean, and that the service will be good."

"The gambling privileges have been let to Van Alen, Archambeau & Rathburn, the gentlemen who had charge of the Annex gambling before the late fire. They have an established reputation for square dealing and will get their share of the gambling in this city."

"The St Elmo will be up-to-date in the matter of amusements and will open with a pianist and singer."

(The Jerome Mining News; August 14, 1899; page 3, column 5.)


"The new Annex was thrown open to the public on the night of the 15th. The new building is of brick, with a handsome curved front, which leaves a neat vestibule for an entrance. The house on the inside is 15 x 90 feet, and is neatly furnished throughout."

"The bar and fixtures are of local manufacture and reflect much credit on their maker, contractor Olsen. They are plain, but rich-looking, and stand as an advertisement for home industry."

"The proprietor, Mr. Charles Fiske, is lately from Williams, where he successfully carried on business for years. This saloon is making a specialty of Old Plantation whisky and well-kept beer. Jean Allison is book-keeper and day barkeeper. There is a billiard room and quiet card rooms in connection."

(The Jerome Mining News; Monday, August 21, 1899; page 3, column 5.)


Comments are not posted immediately. Submissions must adhere to our Use of Service Terms of Use agreement. Rambling or nonsensical comments may not be posted. Comment submissions may not exceed a 200 word limit, and in order for us to reasonably manage this feature we may limit excessive comment entries.

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.