Mon, Nov. 18

1918: MURDER AT CLARKDALE; January 28.

MANUEL OROZCO SHOT BY B. F. WINSOR: Manuel Orozco was murdered in cold blood last night in Clarkdale. He was shot without warning by B. F. Winsor, and died instantly."

"Winsor was captued shortly after by Deputy Sheriff Alberto Lopez. He was locked up for the night and taken to Prescott today."

"Winsor was an armed guard for the United Verde Copper company and is understood to have been appointed a deputy sheriff at its request."

"Orozco had been a guard and a deputy and he was one of the men to whom the late Judge McBride objected when settling the labor troubles last summer, asking for his removal with Mike Mutich and other foreigners who were not eligible as deputies."

"What the trouble between Winsor and Orozco is, nobody seems to know for certain, but it is claimed that Winsor had recently said: 'I'm going to get that greaser _____ ____ _____ yet.'"

"Last night about 10 o'clock Orozco left his house and went to Mike Loftus' pool hall for some candy for his children. He lived diagonally across the street, southwest of the pool hall."

"Buying the candy he held it first in one hand and then in the other, then placed both hands in his coat pockets and with them drawing the corners of his coat before his body, he started for home."

"While within a few feet of his house a gunshot rang out and a bullet almost struck the back of his head. It passed on by and grazed the back of an Italian shoemaker across the street to the east."

"Then Winsor advanced within twenty feet and fired two more shots. One passed through Orozco's stomach and the other through his head. He, of course, died instantly."

"Orozco's brother was in the pool hall and he with others were attracted outside by the shooting. He was unarmed, and learning that his brother had been killed, took after Winsor, who was attempting to run away in the dim light."

"Winsor ran quite a distance when he was stopped by Lopez, so is stated in one version. Another is that he gave himself up."

"The dead man was unarmed, not having more than a pocket knife on him, according to reports from Clarkdale, all of which agree on this point."

(The Jerome Sun; Tuesday, January 29, 1918; page 1, columns 6, 7.)


"B. F. Winsor, the Clarkdale smelter guard, who was arraigned yesterday morning on a murder charge, entered a plea of not guilty when his case was called. March 8th was fixed as the date of the opening of the trial and the court directed that the bond of $2,000 under which Winsor is held, be continued until the conclusion of the trial." (Weekly Journal-Miner; Prescott; March 6, 1918; page 3.)


"B. F. Winsor, who for the past three days had been on trial in the Superior court on a charge of murder, growing out of the killing of a Mexican named Manuel Orosco at Clarkdale on January 28, was acquitted at seven o'clock yesterday evening, the jury having required a little more than one hour in which to reach its conclusion."

"The verdict marks the end of one of the hardest-fought trials ever conducted in the county, and during the entire three days the case was in the court, seats in the courtroom were at a premium, the audience having on every occasion made up largely of women and girls who had for some reason been taking a great interest in the matter."

"Attorney's O'Sullivan and Morgan, who conducted the defense, based their appeals to the jury on self-defense, and were apparently able to prove to the jury's satisfaction that the Mexican had made threats against the life of the defendant, and that the latter was justified in shooting him down in the street in Clarkdale. Robert Morrison of Prescott, had been hired by the friends of Orosco to act as special prosecutor to assist County Attorney Haworth, and Winsor's right to acquittal was hotly contested through the trial."

"The submission of testimony ended shortly before the noon hour, and the arguments were opened when court convened at 1:30. The defense presented several witnesses during the morning who testified to the good character of the defendant. Among those who were placed on the stand for this purpose were the following-named; Ben Sogue, M. T. Broaded, Fred Hawkins, Deputy Sheriff F. F. Bartlett, C. W. Bennet, and Joe Cook. The State thereupon introduced witnesses in rebuttal of the testimony offered by the defense. A large part of the testimony showing Orosco's connection with an alleged bootlegging plot was ruled out of the case by Judge Sweeney, and one of the main points which the defense hoped to introduce --- the manner in which Winsor first became acquainted with the dead man --- was kept out of the records."

"The argument by the respective counsel occupied all of the afternoon session. Attorney Morrison opened for the State. He said in his opening remarks that the Mexican had been shot down in cold blood while on his way home, and that the defense had been unable to show that Winsor had been threatened on the night of the killing. Morrison was followed by Attorney Morgan for the defense, who emphasized the point that at least two Mexicans had visited the dead body of Orosco before the officers reached the spot, and that in all probability any weapon which the man might have carried had been taken away by the Mexicans in order to make a strong case against Winsor. Even the man's pocket knife had been carried off, it was pointed out, Orosco having been known to usually carry a large knife. While the bootlegging escapade was not mentioned, the defense made quite plain the fact that bad blood had existed between the officer and his victim, and that the Mexican had undoubtedly made threats to take the life of the defendant. Morgan was followed by County Attorney Haworth, who spoke for some time, and then P. J. O'Sullivan took the floor on behalf of the defense. He cited the case of the recent death of three of the Graham county officers to bear out his theory that an officer must shoot and shoot first when he has reason to suspect that a bad man is about to draw a gun or knife on him. It was either a case of Winsor firing the fatal shots or himself being a target for the Mexican's bullets, said Mr. O'Sullivan. Had Winsor waited before the shooting, he might have been the victim, just as Sheriff McBride had been shot while face to face with a party of criminals because he was not quick enough on the trigger."

"The arguments were closed a little after five o'clock, and Judge Sweeney then read his instructions to the jury. It is stated that the jury took but one ballot in reaching its conclusion, and then adjourned for dinner. Judge Sweeney and the attorneys and court officials were notified at 6:30 that a verdict had been reached, and court was opened at seven o'clock, at which time the defendant learned that he had been cleared in a remarkably short time."

(Weekly Journal-Miner; Prescott; March 27, 1918; page 4.)

Event Calendar
Event Calendar link
Submit Event