1930: FIRST SHORT WAVE RADIO PERMIT ANNOUNCED; June 24.
"SHORT WAVE RADIO PERMIT ISSUED TO JEROME OPERATOR."
"W, 6 B. R. P., the Verde district's first short-wave radio station, will be on the air in a week's time, according to announcement made today by the owners, Leo C. Hannon and H. A. Davis, of Jerome. The installation of their antennae is completed and they expect to test on 40 meters today."
"Station license was received June 11 and bears the number 4657. It is issued by the federal radio commission and gives authority to transmit television, continuous wave (code), interrupted continuous wave and radio phone."
"The transmitter is a 15-watt tuned plate tuned grid C. W. transmitter. It is identical with the transmitter with which Lieut. William Westrom of the United States army at El Paso, Texas, communicated with Aukland, New Zealand."
"The particular instrument used in this station has a record of verified reception in four continents, and was formerly owned by Harold Haughwough, who is the chief operator of station KTAR, of the Arizona Electrical Equipment company, of Phoenix."
"Station W, 6 B. R. P. will be a member of the chain of the Amateur Radio Relay league, an association formed by the amateurs of the United States and Canada, which is the main branch of the International Amateur Radio league covering every civilized country on the globe."
"Amateurs have been using short-wave transmitters for approximately 15 years, and have an enviable record of providing invaluable means of communication in time of floods and storms, and under conditions in which wire communication could not survive. There are over 15,000 transmitting amateurs in the United States alone, and to them and their experiments goes much of the credit for the art of broadcasting as it is today. This is a field which is practically untouched in this section, and in which there should be a lot of interest, as the summer season static does not interfere with short-wave transmission."
"The station will be located in the offices of the new business partnership of Hannon & Davis, in the Bank of Clemenceau building, specialists in radio, phonograph and typewriter repairing and custom builders of short-wave radios."
"The shop equipment, which has been ordered but not yet received, will be the latest and most up to date in this part of the country, according to Mr. Hannon. The test instruments to be used are the 'Supreme,' which are said to be the finest on the market."
"Both members of the new firm have been in Jerome for the past two years. Mr. Davis came to this district with the Alabam Freight company, later working for the United Verde Copper company. He is originally from Flagstaff, and was in the aviation corps during the war."
"Mr. Hannon has lately been with the Music store of Jerome, and will continue to be associated with them. Before coming to this city he was with the Arizona Flying Service of Phoenix, installing radios on new planes. Before coming to Arizona he was technician with the Therle Music company, of San Diego."
(Verde Copper News; Tuesday, June 24, 1930; page 1, column 2.)
Click Below to: