Mon, March 30

1932: BANK OF CLEMENCEAU ROBBED, September 6, Part 2.

Frank Work continued: "'We weren't bound up very long because Mrs. Work was not tied up as tightly as I was and she got loose and then let me loose. The first thing I did was call the Jerome police from my home and then I ran over to Deputy Sheriff Munds' house and told him.'"

"Mrs. Work was injured only slightly but suffered some from shock. A neighbor woman heard Mrs. Work scream last night but, not hearing the scream repeated, did not pay any attention to it."

"Patching the evidence left behind together, officers figure the fleeing robbers drove first to Aultman on the Camp Verde road and then they took the road to Cherry Creek. Near Dewey they abandoned the car and took the money with them on foot. Their tracks when day light came, five hours later, were discovered to have led to the railroad tracks."

"Jailer Harry Hartin got the alarm by telephone at eleven thirty-five o'clock last night and at once called Deputy Tommy Thompson at Mayer. The deputy is said to have driven as soon as he could to Humboldt and then toward Dewey. In the 'lane' he said he saw a car stop and its lights go off. It was the car the robbers had used but in the darkness it was impossible to discover which way the men went on the railroad right-of-way."

"Under Sheriff Van Reichard corrected what he said was a misstatement in circulation relative to the information telephoned to Thompson. Thompson was told, the stoy went, to drive as fast as he could to Dewey and there wait for officers just leaving Prescott, but was not advised what the trouble was. En route he was said to have passed the parked bandit car, with the two men in it, but not knowing anything about the robbery he did not stop to investigate. Later, when he met with Prescott officers they proceeded to where the car had been parked but found the birds had flown. This is the story the under sheriff said is a fabrication."

"An Ash Fork deputy this morning was waiting for the arrival of a freight that left here at eight-ten this morning, on the assumption that maybe the robbers reached Entro, north of here, and there hopped the freight. But they did not catch the freight."

"Bloodhounds from the Arizona state penitentiary are en route here."

"Work described the bandits as young men, slender and nervous, one of them was believed to be five feet eleven inches tall, weight about 130 pounds, yellow corduroy trousers, striped shirt, brown slip-ons, sleeveless sweater, and grey cap. The other was about five feet eight, weight 135, blue work shirt, tan coat, grey cap, and light yellow corduroy trousers."

"C. R. Talbot of Camp Verde, employed in the salt works near there by the Arizona Chemical Company found a mask on the road between Clemenceau and Camp Verde. It was shown to the bank manager and of course was taken to be a mask one of the men wore but could not be identified positively as such. Work said one of the bandits wore a silk stocking pulled down over his face for a mask while the other had some sort of black cloth fastened over his eyes and mouth."

"The Bank of Clemenceau will not lose any money because of the robbery since the theft is covered amply by insurance, said Work."

"The opinion was expressed in the sheriff's office this morning that the Clemenceau robbers are 'local talent,' evidently encouraged by the ease with which the First National bandits got away with nearly $18,000 without a slip-up anywhere. In fact to date there has not been an arrest in the First National robbery, though the quest of the sheriff's office was abetted by that of a Los Angeles detective of the Burns Agency. Even though the Clemenceau robbers had a five hour start before daylight, the fact that they abandoned the car and took to the railroad tracks on foot definitely established that much at least and gives officers hope that ultimate capture will be an easier matter than in the August 10 robbery."

"Superintendent James M. Hall of the Arizona highway patrol in Phoenix ordered several highway patrolmen to concentrate on the search in Phoenix and vicinity as the chase appeared to center near that city. Maricopa County's law officers are also co-operating with guards on all roads."

"Yavapai's first bank robbery was on June 21, 1928. One of the robbers, Willard J. Forrester, was shot and killed and the other, Earl Nelson, alias Paul Hoffman, is serving a thirty to forty year sentence at Florence, as a result of robbing the Bank of Arizona branch bank at Clarkdale."

(Prescott Evening Courier; Wednesday, September 7, 1932; page 1, column 8, and page 2, columns 5-6.)

See: The Verde Independent; "1928: BANK OF ARIZONA ROBBERY IN CLARKDLE, June 21;" December 7, 2012.

Report a Typo Contact
Event Calendar
Event Calendar link
Submit Event