Sun, April 05

1918: JEROME; Horace Harrison Murdered, September 23, Part 4.


"No new facts in connection with the deaths of Horace Harrison, murdered by an unknown Mexican at the U. V. & P. station Sunday night, and Gabriel Acero, killed by Deptury Sheriff Fred Hawkins after a battle with officers at the primary school, were brought out at the inquests held today. Formal verdicts were brought in both cases."

"Coroner Frank Smith conducted the hearings and the state was represented by Assistant County Attorney Perry Ling, who arrived from Prescott late yesterday afternoon. The jurors were J. M. Sullivan, W. M. Mallody, J. W. Radley, J. C. Scott, Charles Sutter and Note Allison."

"Deputy Sheriff Hawkins produced Acero's revolver, a Colt's 'Army Special,' .38 caliber. Though it was in good condition it had evidently seen much service."

"TRAILERS BALKED: All efforts to trail Harison's murderers have proven fruitless. They walked along the U. V. & P. tracks almost to First View. From that point they headed eastward and scattered. The trail could be followed almost a hundred yards and then the fugitives struck a limestone ledge on which their shoes made absolutely no impression."

"Hawkins and other officers endeavored for several hours to pick up the trail of the Mexicans in the rough, rocky country north of Jerome but without success. Today Sheriff Joe Young and several Indian trailers are in the same country but it is not expected that they will have any better luck. The murderers undoubtedly got into Clarkdale or some other valley town. As no one saw them closely enough to identify them, their apprehension is extremely unlikely."

"NIGHT WAS QUIET: Jerome spent a quiet night. Sheiff Joe Young brought over several plain clothes men late yesterday afternoon and the town was carefully patrolled. At 9:30 all the pool halls and cigar stores were odered closed and all persons on the streets who did not have business there were sent home."

(Verde Copper News; Jerome; Tuesday, September 24, 1918; page 1, column 7.)

"WOUNDED OFFICERS: Marshal J. G. Crowley and Deputy U. S. Marshal Harry Carlson, who were injured Sunday night in the fight with Gabriel Acero, are enjoying life as best they may on cots at the United Verde hospital. Both patients are in splendid condition. Dr. A. C. Carlson says that there is no danger of Carlson being even slightly lame in the left leg after the bone knits." (Verde Copper News; Jerome; Tuesday, September 24, 1918; page 1, column 3.)

Report a Typo Contact
Event Calendar
Event Calendar link
Submit Event