Mon, Jan. 20

Sedona Humane Society awarded grant from PetSmart charities

The Humane Society of Sedona's (HSS) 'Be a Part of the Fix' campaign, which offers no-cost spay and neuter services to income qualified residents of the Sedona and the Verde Valley, received a real boost from PetSmart Charities. This grant will assure that hundreds of pet owners who cannot afford spay and neuter services can get them free for their cats.

Today, the needs within the Verde Valley for no-cost spay and a neuter service is significant. There are an estimated 3,400 cats in the area that are still not altered. This large amount of cats is actively producing multiple litters throughout the year which results in pet homelessness, shelter intake and ultimately euthanasia.

There are two main reasons why pet owners delay fixing their pets. First, the cost of the surgery is unaffordable. Second, the location of the clinic is too far to travel. This is particularly difficult for full time employees. The grant from PetSmart Charities helps to eliminate these barriers for pet owners by providing spay and neutering services for free at the Humane Society of Sedona's on-site clinic as well as at the clinics of three partnering veterinarians in selected areas in the Verde Valley: Dr. Oler of the Cornville Pet Clinic, Dr. Lana Holcomb of Montezuma Veterinary Services and Dr. Jennifer Gummo-Wagner of Verde Veterinary Hospital.

Since its inception in February of 2014, Be a Part of the Fix is the only ongoing no cost spay and neuter campaign available with the Verde Valley. HSS and its partners to date have provided over 700 no-cost spay and neuter surgeries.

With the added support of this new grant from PetSmart Charities, HSS will focus its spay and neuter initiative on the cat population in Sedona and the Verde Valley over the next year with the intention to provide surgeries to 60 percent of those unaltered cats, which equates to 2,039 cats. Funds from PetSmart Charities will assure that 800, which is 40 percent of those cats, are spayed or neutered in 2015. Donations from the community are needed to fund operations for the remaining 60 percent of the targeted goal.

Those interested in supporting this initiative can donate online at or send a check to Humane Society of Sedona, 2115 Shelby Drive, Sedona, AZ 86336.

For information on how to have your cat spayed and neutered, please call the Humane Society of Sedona to schedule your appointment, or to receive a formal referral to one of the participating Veterinary Clinics at (928) 282-4679.

Event Calendar
Event Calendar link
Submit Event