Verde Heritage 1897: JEROME; United Verde Copper Company Mine and Smelter
"In the Black Hills overlooking the Verde Valley lie hidden oceans of ore containing copper, gold and silver, fully 10% in the former and from one to two hundred dollars per ton in the white and yellow metals. No extensive development was made until the United Verde Copper Company took possession 10 years ago, lacking only 4 months. Eugene Jerome was secretary of the company operating in 1881, and Governor Tritle of Prescott was largely interested about 12 years ago."
"The United Verde company, W. A. Clark of Montana, president, has expended on the outside alone fully 2 million dollars, taking into account the U. V. & P. narrow gauge railway which was completed 3 years ago, in November, the building of which and equipment thereof representing fully $500,000. Every year the company expends thousands of dollars in making repairs, adding machinery and building houses, and the year 1898 will show wonderful changes outside."
"The underground workings are kept inviolate, the miner getting but a faint idea of the vast area opened in the course of his daily work. Of course there are those of an investigating turn of mind who wield the pick and operate the drill in the depths, and it is assumed that such men give out much that is quickly circulated and eventually gets into print as 'authentic' information. In giving a few details as regards the outside, the writer will write that what will give an idea of the extent of the inner workings and a more general idea of the vastness of the United Verde company's proposition. At this time only a few points will be presented."
"The buildings directly associated with the successful operation of the copper mines occupy over 10 acres at the head of a gulch which is being filled up rapidly with slag from the smelter, and upon which the structure known as the converter and furnace building will be extended. This building is now fully 260 feet in length by 100 in width. The official in charge of the converters is George Mitchell."
"The brick building where General Superintendent Joseph L. Giroux has his office is 60 x 30 feet. Here is also found R. Beveridge, assayer, and W. E. Johnston, civil engineer."
"The foundry, boiler shop and blacksmith shop are under one roof and are partitioned off. This building is 200 feet long and 75 feet wide. Wm. Batchelder is foreman of the former; Louis Saxony of the second named, and Wm. McAllister of the blacksmith shop. Some 70 men are working in the 3 departments."
"Wm. Jansen has charge of the Machine Shop where 20 men work. The building occupies a ground space of 32 x 100 feet."
"The motive department covers 150 x 80 feet, the building rising 60 feet. In this department are immense engines and the boiler equipment was changed this fall to 6 great monsters --- marines. W. M. Adamson is the master mechanic."
"The carpenter shop and saw mill are under a roof covering a building that is 50 x 100 feet. George Perkins is in charge."
"Financial Manager H. J. Allen has headquarters in a frame building 20 x 45 feet, with an addition 50 x 60 feet, the latter used as a store house, which is in charge of L. S. Crandall. In a corner of the addition is the work shop of Electrician George T. Schmeizel."
"A very important building is that in which immense engines are located and which operate the hoist. This building is 50 x 200 feet and rises 50 feet."
"The boarding house is 140 x 40 feet and lodgings are the same dimensions, but of two stories."
"I have mentioned the principal buildings and give herewith the names of 4 officials not incorporated in the above lines, viz.: Chris Harryhousen, mine foreman; Gus Frazier, timekeeper; David Coover, car repairer; and J. C. Cleary, steward of the boarding house controlled by J. L. Giroux & Co."
"Mr. John Burns continues as superintendent of the U. V. & P. railway; General R. H. G. Mintie is auditor and L. L. Budworth, agent; E. F. Berner, assistant, W. E. Fleming is the Junction agent; Charles Sutter is master mechanic; J. H. Brown, car inspector; H. I. Russell and T. J. Haas, conductors; and M. C. Cavanaugh and Wm. Haskins, engineers. The railway tracks aside from the main line of 26 miles amount to all of 4 miles more, meaning side tracks and spurs. In the past 2 months Engine No. 4, a 43-ton Baldwin, with cylinders 17 x 20 inches, was added, besides 12 freight cars and a passenger coach. There is a passenger depot and round house at Jerome on the hill over the works. Engine No. 3 will be out of the shops shortly. Two trains go out daily, the same returning afternoon and evening."
(Arizona Republican; Phoenix; December 5, 1897; page 7.)