Mingus swimming sends more to state, stays undefeated in duals
Another state qualifier and another home meet yielded familiar results for Mingus Union swimming, except for one case.
On Thursday the Marauders hosted Winslow, Phoenix Shadow Mountain and Prescott for dual meets. MUHS defeated Winslow 155-19, beat SM 124-63 and tied Prescott 94-94.
It’s the first draw Mingus Union head coach Gretchen Wesbrock had been a part of she thinks and she couldn’t believe it when she saw the final tally.
“Well I guess when you tie it’s technically still a win, right?” Wesbrock said. “You’re still undefeated, so we had three teams that we competed against and Mingus tied against Prescott, won against Winslow and won against Shadow Mountain. So what’s really cool about that too is that Shadow Mountain’s in our division, so is Winslow but Prescott’s in Division II, so it’s really neat to see our kids have competition and do well with it.”
The Marauders picked up the wins and draws despite being a little short handed as swimmers stepped up and competed in unfamiliar events.
On Sept. 21 the Marauders went to their second of four state qualifier meets at Brophy/Xavier Swim Invitational in Phoenix.
The Marauders set 22 new personal records, notched eight provisional state qualifying times and the girls 200-yard freestyle relay and 400 free relay teams put up automatic qualifying times. The 200 free relay team of senior Emma Warner, senior Zoey Arwine, sophomore Brooke Peterson and sophomore Jade Bach had already punched their ticket to State in the first qualifying meet.
Wesbrock said it was a “fantastic” meet.
“We had more provisional times, our girls had an automatic, so all three of the girls relays are automatically qualified for State,” Wesbrock said. “More provisionals, so we are sitting in a really good spot. We got a couple weeks now before we head to our next qualifier, it’s after fall break that we’ll go and then we’ve got two back to back and then we’ll be heading into State after that. “So I’m so excited for these kids and where they’re at, they’re training really hard but they’ve also come together as a team so nicely, they’re so inclusive. You’ve got these swimmers that are state bound and these swimmers that it’s their very first season and yet everybody is a part of this team and everybody feels apart of this team and I just think that is what we’re going for here.”
Here’s the highlights of the Brophy and Xavier meet:
- Adalynn Parker: 100 Breast 1:32.31 – Personal Record
- Aleana Cricks: 50 Free 29.20 – Personal Record and 100 Fly 1:20.14 – Personal Record
- Andrew Peterson: 50 Free 22.89 – Provisional State Qualifying Time – Personal Record and 100 Free 51.77 – Provisional State Qualifying Time – Personal Record
- Brooke Peterson: 50 Free 27.34 – Personal Record and 100 Free 1:01.75 – Personal Record
- Carter Gordon: 50 Free 28.99 – Personal Record
- Charlie Green: 100 Breast 1:23.95 – Personal Record
- Christopher Louden: 100 Back 1:20.73 – Personal Record
- Warner: 100 Free 58.27 – Provisional State Qualifying Time – Personal Record
- Warner, Arwine, Brooke Peterson and Bach: Girls 200 Free Relay 1:46.99 – Automatic State Qualifying Time – Personal Record and Girls 400 Free Relay 3:47.82 – Automatic State Qualifying Time
- Jack Zahoudanis: 100 Back 1:19.02 – Personal Record
- Bach 100 Free: 1:01.49 – Personal Record
- Jake Parker, Jack Zahoudanis, Jarod Gordon, Jarom Banks: Boys 200 Free Relay 1:52.40 – Provisional State Qualifying Time
- Gordon: 100 Free 1:00.49 – Personal Record
- Joseph Calhoon, Andrew Peterson, Luke Ritter, Landon Tresize: Boys 200 Medley Relay 1:54.52 – Provisional State Qualifying Time
- Tresize: 100 Free 57.26 – Provisional State Qualifying Time – Personal Record
- Luke Fangman: 100 Fly 1:31.92 – Personal Record
- Ritter: 50 Free 25.44 – Provisional State Qualifying Time – Personal Record and 100 Free 57.50 – Provisional State Qualifying Time – Personal Record
- Taylor Lennon: 100 Fly 1:26.81 – Personal Record and 100 Backstroke 1:21.39 – Personal Record
- Tiana Lodico: 100 Fly 1:23.61 – Personal Record
On Thursday at the friendly confines of Cottonwood Aquatics Center, the Marauders host Flagstaff, Winslow and Phoenix St. Mary’s at 4 p.m.
Click Below to: