Storms, flood watch forecast for Verde Valley

Clouds over Camp Verde. (VVN/Raquel Hendrickson)

Clouds over Camp Verde. (VVN/Raquel Hendrickson)

A flood watch remains in effect through this evening until around 11 p.m. as heavy rains hit some areas of the Verde Valley, according to the National Weather Service.

The monsoon weather patterns over Arizona may be impacted by Hurricane Hilary, which is making landfall in Baja and moving up the coast. NWS warns that Southern California may experience historic rainfall from the rare West Coast storm, but any affects of the dissipating hurricane may blend with Arizona’s daily rain, possibly adding an additional one or two inches accompanied by flash flooding.

Cottonwood has a 40% chance for heavy rain tonight, mainly between 1 and 4 a.m., according to NWS. While the daytime high may top out at 95, the overnight low will be around 67.

Sunday will be mostly cloudy with a high near 94 and strong winds gusting up to 32 mph. There is a 60% chance for thunderstorms, mainly after 4 p.m. The overnight low will again by 67. The nighttime chance from rain is 90% while strong winds continue.

Monday will be a little cooler, and showers are likely on a mostly cloudy day. The high will be around 88, with wind gusting up to 21 mph and the likelihood of precipitation at 60%. That shifts to 40% overnight when the low temperature falls to 66.

Tuesday may be partly sunny with a high near 92 and shows and a possible thunderstorm after noon. There is a slight chance of showers overnight when the low falls to 67.

Wednesday comes with a 70% chance of rain and high near 93 on a partly sunny day. The nighttime low will likely be around 66.

Thursday, too, may have a thunderstorm waiting. There is a 60% chance of precipitation on a breezy day with a high near 92. The nighttime low may be around 66 again, and there is a 40% chance of rain before morning.

Friday, from this distance, has a forecast of mostly sunny with a high near 95 along with a 50% chance of showers.

Donate Report a Typo Contact
Event Calendar
Event Calendar link
Submit Event