Stories this photo appears in:
J. O. Mullen was Superintendent of Schools for 31 years. During the early 1900's, schools were closed about 30% of the time due to epidemics such as smallpox, scarlet fever, diphtheria, etc.
A fire in the center of town on the east side of Main Street during February was followed by the fire that destroyed most of the west side of Main Street during April of 1925. One year later, on the first anniversary, most of the buildings had been rebuilt.
In addition to the new building, a nearby building was remodeled for high school students.
The Methodist - Baptist Church Building was obtained by the Town of Cottonwood in 1982. It is currently being remodeled for use as a brew pub.
Don Willard, a well-known resident, will be the new store's manager.
Verde Properties, Inc., will begin remodeling the 71 homes after the first of the year.
"Years of hard work and planning will bear fruit tomorrow with the formal opening of the Fort Verde Museum by the Camp Verde Improvement Association, at 1:30 p.m. The date selected for the ceremony has significance, because, on November 23, 1868, the name was changed from Camp Lincoln to Camp Verde."