October 21, 2016
Stories this photo appears in:
Planning for the October 8 dedication of State Highway 79 and the W. W. Midgley Bridge began during January.
The Community Sanitation Program came into existence as one of many work relief projects during December of 1933.
There are 400 acres available near the Middle Verde Reservation and 400 acres available near Lynx Lake east of Prescott.
Cottonwood businessmen move to Clarkdale
The travelers visited Camp Verde, Montezuma Castle, Soda Springs, Montezuma Well, etc., before returning to Jerome, Jerome Junction, and Prescott.
A traveler's impressions of the scenery, mines, smelter, and Town of Jerome.
The retaining wall and sidewalk on the hill by the old high school are 90 years old.
The constantly changing wind made fire fighting more difficult.
A controlled brush burn of 170 acres got out of control and burned 14,500 acres.
The cultivation of grapes and manufacture of wine is a nice business in the Verde Valley.
Herbicide used to kill weeds and Johnson grass poisoned fish and other aquatic life.
Trout season opens with many enthusiastic anglers.
Jerome burned again. Sheriff John Munds arrived to help maintain law and order.
After the end of the Spanish-American War soldiers at Montauk Point, New York, sent letters home to Yavapai County.
"Operation Mainstream" provided the whole community with a recreation area.
The new building at the United Verde Copper Company smelter houses the concentration plant.
This marks the first attempt at developing the non-metallic mineral resources in Arizona.
Cases of scarlet fever, whooping cough, chicken pox, and measles were all reported to the health officials at Jerome.
The United Verde's mine has developed 50 miles of tunnels and the ore bodies appear inexhaustible as great tonnage is taken out.
The mining camp is still overcrowded and it is almost impossible to get a place to sleep unless accommodations have been reserved in advance.
The December snow storms were followed by rain during January.
South of Cottonwood, the furnace fires have been extinguished in the smelter at Clemenceau.
Men on horseback carried mail from Camp Verde to Pine and Payson from 1884 until 1914. A special commemorative pony mail run re-enactment honored the historic mail carriers on January 27, 1968.
J. J. Fisher discovered a small sliver of unclaimed land, then it was patented by Elizabeth C. Fisher. After Mr. Fisher died in 1911, the property attracted the attention of James S. Douglas.
Most of the improvements at Jerome mentioned by the correspondent would, as he predicted, burn in another fire.
The road was proposed during 1946, and built south from Williams 20 miles to the Coconino County line by 1969. Consideration was given to building a railroad route from the Verde Valley to connect with the Williams-Grand Canyon railroad for a scenic network.
The United Verde Copper Company started up on August 1, 1887, after being closed since December, 1884.
During an eclipse of the sun at Camp Verde on July 29, 1878, the temperature fell 32 degrees in 30 minutes. People in Jerome witnessed a partial eclipse of the sun on June 8, 1917.
Near the ruin of an ancient civilization, "Old West" pioneer wagons and other relics are displayed at this modern trailer park.
Babbitt's Cottonwood Lumber moved from "Old Town" to their new building on the 89A Bypass in the hope that the larger space would help provide better service and a wider range of products to their Verde Valley customers.
With the constant improvements one cannot help but believe that Jerome will be "The Town" for some time to come.
Raging water in Deception Gulch was 12 to 15 feet deep. Roads were washed out and mines became isolated.
Joe Moser and Ray Steele, with the support of Sedona citizens, made their dream of having an airport become a reality.
Trouble grew out of businessmen employing a "scab" to lead the Jerome Hose Team in the race at Prescott.
The "water salvage" program and cutting trees in the Verde Valley has ended for 1969, but the long-term project will continue.
The old boarding house was remodeled and opened as Cottonwood Funeral Chapel on September 15, 1949. The building was reconstructed during 1968, and remodeling was completed during 1970.
A new business, fights, a motorcycle speed record, an inquest, an explosion, and the 8th grade graduation were of interest to Jerome citizens during the middle of June.
The fire destroyed the building owned by Selna and Kovacovich, occupied by Miller and Darlington, the Gonzales barber shop, and the Fountain Saloon owned by Andrew Issoglio.
Construction began during 1898, and the church was dedicated during 1903. Now people are expressing an interest in saving the building.
Because the factory, said to be owned by a Russian, is out of business, parties who owe various sums of money for goods purchased will attempt to evade payment of their debts.
Lee and Oma Bird constructed a building in 1945, which became the Oak Creek Market in conjunction with the Oak Creek Tavern. The Cowboy Artists of America, Inc., was founded there on June 23, 1965.
The new high school is planned, 2 new locomotives have arrived, there is new machinery for the Cleopatra Copper Co., and law enforcement officials are kept busy.
Plans to build a non-profit hospital and health care facility at Cottonwood were announced in Prescott by J. H. Morgan, attorney for Mrs. Carrie J. Lawrence.
George Smith, a mine foreman, had been drinking in Jerome. He was riding in a freight wagon toward the Iron King mine when he fell off the wagon. A nearby couple was asked to take care of him. His body was found 3 days later heaped up in the rocks.
Congress recently enacted new laws and provided a budget for the deportation of people who have illegally entered the United States.
Following a heated argument, Kosta Katich fired a revolver wounding Emil Kovacovich and William S. Kirby.
The brush dam at the new head of the John Lee ditch has backed up the water of Oak Creek for half a mile, creating Hurst Lake.
By February, new Camp Lincoln had about 123 enlisted men, 3 officers, a surgeon, and 16 women, all living in primitive conditions without tents, adequate clothing or shoes, and insufficient rations.
Discover entertaining new information about the second oldest profession, the origin of Sheep Bridge and why it was built high above the Verde River.
Flags of the United States and Mexico unfurled from sidewalks and buildings dressed the district in festival style.
In spite of the fire, The Verde Independent came out on time on Thursday, May 2, 1957.
West of Jerome the Three Medals Mining Company, Jerome Consolidated Gold Mines company and Copper World company are actively searching for gold. A big strike may be made in that region at any moment.
Camp Verde could become the site of a chemical industry of major importance to the state and the southwest.
The hunter became lost when his own tracks were covered with snow. He found shelter in the Goswick Cabin.
Only 182 of the required 250 miners reported for work at the United Verde Copper Company, and only 65 of the required 100 miners reported for work at the United Verde Extension Mining Company on February 13, 1919. The mines closed, and with no ore available, the smelters at Clarkdale and Verde were forced to close.
Lieutenant Sellers, commanding Federal troops stationed at Jerome, was notified about the plan of the Wobblies to break down the city jail and liberate the prisoners.
An era of prosperity is prevailing from one end of the Verde Valley to the other.
A streak of exceptional high grade ore had previously been taken out. Steam shovels discovered the old tunnels and the ore that remained in place.
"It will be some time before the leaders can settle among themselves the bitter feelings engendered by the disaster of November. ... After a political defeat the defeated fall out among themselves, instead of trying to find the real reason for the disaster, with a view to avoiding the defeat factors in the future."
Jerome had 15 inches of snow on the ground before Christmas.
"The year was 1921, and Mr. and Mrs. Bill Gray had just been married a year. Mrs. Gray was the daughter of the pioneer Verde Valley family of Mr. and Mrs. W. A. Jordan who lived in the big two-story red house beside the present Evalyn Jordan home at Bridgeport."
"Indications are that there will be general activity in the Cherry Creek District this coming year. Several new companies are being organized among the best mining men of the State. Capital is being interested in California, Ohio, Chicago and other places east."
"When the United Verde Extension struck ore it hit with a resounding blow that was heard all over the mining world. The people who inhabit every quarter of the globe heard it. It started something."
"One of the interesting financial developments of the past week has been the forming of a syndicate composed principally of well-known financial interests of Arizona for the purchase of a copper property in the Jerome district consisting of 32 claims, approximately 640 acres, and well known in and around Jerome as the 'square mile of mineral land.' The syndicate which has purchased this property will organize under the name of the 'Big Jerome Copper Company' and it is its intention to immediately begin an aggressive development campaign on the large acreage it has acquired."
"The magic of mining has been well exemplified in the Jerome district the last two years. When Senator Clark decided to build a new smelter for his United Verde mine output, he determined at the same time upon the founding of a model mining town. Practically with the ways of the magic wand of money, Clarksdale sprang into existence. Today Clarksdale is a thriving city, but unlike camps of mushroom growth, it is built to stay as long as the big smelter is supplied with ore from the mine which has made Clark many times a millionaire. Clarksdale will grow and prosper."
"In an exclusive report to the 'Verde Copper News' today it was disclosed that an appropriation of $100,000 for the construction of the Oak Creek Canyon highway was agreed upon at the conference of officials of the United States Bureau of Public Roads, the Forest Service and the state highway department, held in Phoenix Thursday. The allocation will permit construction of the road from Sedona to Indian Gardens, work to begin July 1, 1928."